Pages

Today's National Apple Pie Day

Jeez, that's stupid. Who gives a ______? Oh, yeah. Apple growers.

Anyway, it's warm and the farmers markets are in full effect. Skip out and kiss an apple pie . . . donut, I mean. Dunkin Donut is giving away $50 large to folks who figure out what variety of apple they use in their sugar bombs today.

Is this what National Apple Pie Day is all about?
Really?

Photo courtesy of Skiptomylou.org
I'd wager not. And to prove it here's a link to a hot, steamy rustic apple pie recipe I found on Skip to My Lou. Okay maybe its really an Apple Crostata, but if you make it I am sooooo coming over to your house!

The recipe is adapted from Ina Garten - you know, the contessa. It's all five-starry over at the Food Network site. Cindy at Skip to My Lou eased it up a bit with purchased pie crust, but I wouldn't throw it out the kitchen for cutting corners. It just means you will be able to make it quicker so I can come over to taste it right after work. WhaddaPal!

For ingredients we're looking at:

  • about 6 cups thinly sliced apples
  • 1/4 cup flour
  • 1/2 cup granulated  sugar
  • 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
For the topping:
  • 1/4 cup flour
  • 1/4 cup granulated or superfine sugar
  • 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
  • 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) cold unsalted butter, diced
Heat the oven to 450 degrees F (it's a bit chilly today anyway).
Peel,core, and slice the apples. Toss the slices with the first mixture. Cover the dough with the apples leaving a 2 inch border.

Combine the flour, sugar, salt, cinnamon, and allspice in the bowl of a food processor fitted with a steel blade. Add the butter and pulse until the mixture is crumbly. Pour into a bowl and rub it with your fingers until it starts holding together. Sprinkle evenly on the apples. Gently fold the border over the apples to enclose the dough, pleating it to make a circle.
Bake the crostata for 20 to 30 minutes, until the crust is golden and the apples are tender. Allow to cool. Serve warm or at room temperature.

See? That was easy. Thanks Cindy! She's got a few more pics on the site to help you through. I swear I would make it myself but my kitchen doesn't have a sink right now. Or cabinet doors. Or a counter. Or running water.

What time is dessert?

No comments: