Pages

My Garden is Made for Mojitos

Okay, so I don't have a lime tree and the back forty (feet, that is) isn't sporting any sugar cane. None of this matters since I've got the 'runaway mint front garden from hell'.

Yes, mint is a weed. I didn't even plant the stuff. When I moved into this place nine years ago, the front was a mix of trailing roses with no place to go and a massive mint plantation. I pulled up all of the mint and the stinking roses, planted daylilies, hostas, tulips, daffodils, and columbine. So what do I get to show for all of that hard work? MOUNTAINS OF MINT!!!!!

The stuff is the ultimate in organic gardening - I never fertilize or water it or use any sort of pesticides. I thought if left entirely alone it would wither and die. No such luck. I give it to neighbors. I give it to family. I give it to strangers. I dry it for tea. I give up.

So yesterday was my brother-in-law's birthday - my gift? Mojitos. I generally don't like all of the sugar content, so I asked the local liquor store owner how I could use less. His response was that adding tonic water (which has sugar in it) would replace the granulated sugar and add a bit of a fizz. Normally I just add club soda. Great. So here is my almost recipe - since I never measure anything. I just add until it tastes good.

3 limes
A mess of mint leaves
2 tablespoons of sugar
Bacardi white rum
Tonic water


Place the leaves and sugar in a bowl, squeeze the lime juice into said bowl. Find something with a rounded bottom to grind the sugar, mint and juice together. My bro-in-law didn't have a mortar and pestle, so I used a smaller bowl to mash it up - worked just fine.

Fill a small pitcher with ice. Pour the mash over the ice. Add 1 cup of tonic water. Add rum to your taste. If your taste makes the rest of the party screech "OMG! This is too alcoholic!" it may be a bit too concentrated. Add as much tonic water as you need to lighten the drink for normal folks (just add a couple of extra jiggers in your own glass).

A good time was had by all. I'm so glad my daughter is driving now.

No comments: